BRUSH electrical history - a collection.
EU Documents 1921 - 1980
In 1920 after serious work shortages following the first World War, the Brush company secured a license to manufacture steam turbines from the Swedish company Ljungstrom. The first turbines delivered in 1922 were rated 2500KW and Brush made the generators that were integrated into the turbine generator assembly. Power capacities increased as the designs were improved and Brush became a mainstay of supplying electric power plants machinery to many towns and cities throughout the UK. An Early reference list is reproduced below.
G-AIDL whilst in commercial service
G-AIDL restored to RAF livery with its original TX-310 military designation
During both the first and second World Wars, Brush made armanents and aircraft for the British war effort. Above are two images of the same D_H Dragon Rapide plane, now restored and still airworthy seventy years after it was first delivered. This De-Havilland Dragon Rapide – an aircraft type known as the Dominie to the British Royal Air Force (RAF) was originally built by the Brush Coachworks of Loughborough for the RAF in 1946. This aircraft is now on show at the Tangmere Military Aviation Museum (close to Portsmouth on the south coast of England) which is on the old RAF Tangmere airfield. RAF Tangmere is famous for its illustrious service from 1916 through the Battle of Britain and into the post WW2 years. The museum was opened by a group of aviation enthusiasts in 1982 to promote public awareness of the United Kingdom’s military aviation heritage, educate present and future generations in military aviation and serve as a memorial to airmen and airwomen who gave their lives in the service of Great Britain. For museum details go to www.tangmere-museum.org.uk
Brush products expanded to include larger generators for reciprocating diesel and gas engine drive, high voltage induction, slipring and synchronous motors, plus transformers and the switchgear and controls systems which bound it all together. In 1957 Brush joined the Hawker Siddeley Group a large collection of engineering companies involved in all aspects of manufacture from aerospace to diesel engines and electric power plant installations. As part of Hawker Siddeley many comprehensive installations were completed, particularly in the Middle East.
Early in the 20th century (around 1910) a water turbine driven Brush generator was installed in DOWNTON, Wiltshire England. Supplemented witha diesel driven Brush generator in 1933, the company received a glowing letter of commendation on its stirling service.
Shipbuilders came to Brush for composite electrical power systems which were handled by the Projects Department combining all the company's primary products together to provide a one stop propulsion and electric power supply including automated controls. Oil platforms, survey ships and container vessels were all furnished with Brush and H.S. Group equipemt.
Starting in 1970 growth in main line electric power plants changed and gas turbines began to take on a more significant role in utility power generation and Brush became associated with most of the principal gas turbine manufacturers. American manufacturers Westinghouse and General Electric dominated, with GE appointing Manufacturing Associates around the world in each geographical market to package their "hot parts" into a complete installation. Starting with John Brown Engineering in Scotland, Brush expanded their reach becoming a supplier to GE (USA), Thomassen, Kvaerner, Turbotecnica, Alstom, GEC-European Gas Turbines and Nouvo Pignone. The Brush 2 pole generator production increased and the largest ratings built increased to 120MW. In 1979 Brush celebrated it's 100 year anniversary.
There must be many items out there from this era, which would be of interest to Brush History readers. Please look in your records and scan to PDF or if a photo, a *.jpg format file. Please send them to the webmaster for a future update.
Centenary Souveniers - 1979
Aerial view of the Brush factory in 1930 - a photograph of an artists work which was used in company publicity.